Wednesday 10 January 2018

Birnbeck Pier

Creepy abandoned buildings are one of my top sources of inspiration for new novels, so I thought I'd share one of my current favourites here.

At the entrance to Birnbeck Pier, a sign reads 'Death lies this way' which, if you ask me, sounds more like a challenge than a warning. Crumbling buildings, splintered wood, and tufts of grass sprouting from cracked concrete. It's everything I love in a setting, which is why my current work in progress is set on a derelict pier inspired by Birnbeck.

The only UK pier linking an island to the mainland, Birnbeck Pier started out as a Victorian theme park complete with water slides and steamship service. Closed in the 1970s, Birnbeck Pier is now an eerie wasteland. 

The image below is from a BBC article featuring some recent haunting images of the abandoned pier.


And this is a postcard from 1907 showing the pier in its heyday. Check out those fairground rides in the background. I found this image on the Friends of the Old Pier Society website - a non-profit organisation working to save Birnbeck pier.



And here's some drone footage taken by Jon Avery, complete with sinister soundtrack.


Share:

Post a Comment